fredag 24 januari 2014

The idea and the real.

When I had begun drawing Pilgrim, I got this idea for another project. All along the process of drawing, I kept the ideas coming for this project. That project is the script I'm currently writing, and developing.

When that project was just in the idea phase, it felt really fresh and cool and all in all a very positive thing to think about. But I had to finish Pilgrim first, before I could dive into this new project.

And now I'm in the middle of writing it!

Something that I've noticed is that when an idea of a project is still in the idea phase, it's all very positive and feels very inspiring. But when you finally are going to realize it, it can sometimes feel like an uphill climb. Why is that?

Here is a sketchy answer: To realize something takes a lot of work. You have to get going even if you don't feel like it... When you realize a project, you are doing just that, realizing it. The idea goes from the idea plane into the real world. As an idea the project feels ideal and great. When it transcends, the ideal aspect of it gets a bit flawed. In your writing it just isn't that smooth as you first thought, or if you are sketching it, the characters just don't feel ideal, they're ok, but not ideal.

I think it's a difference between the idea and the real. The idea is always going to be great and kind of unreachable. The real, is always going to be a compromise between various skills, patience and time.

I don't think there is something wrong with this, I think it's just the way it is. Just because you (or I) don't always get to the ideal phase in our realization, doesn't mean that our work doesn't have any quality. In our reaching for the ideal, we will continue to get better and improve on our skills.

It's kind of philosophical, when you think about it!

Take care!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar